This turned out to be one hell of a hike! Congrats to everyone
for enduring it. Photos to follow later, though it'll be a
more limited set since my camera malfunctioned early into
the hike. I did borrow one from a fellow hiker (thanks Royw)
to take a few more.
- Thanks everyone for being on-time! There were 8 hikers,
2 cars of 4 each. Pickup was done in Foster City and SF
for one of the cars.
- Hike started at the Matt Davis trailhead just behind the
fire house in downtown Stinson Beach, at pretty much sea
level. Starting time: 8:52 am.
- Lunch was at the East Peak parking lot from 1:28pm
to 1:52 pm.
- Returned to trailhead at 5:36 pm (5 hikers) and 6:07
pm (3 hikers).
- Distance and elevation.
- I had originally wanted to go about 22 miles and
cover some 4500 ft in elevation. After doing some rough
topo, I realized we would only go about 20 miles tops.
- In the actual hike, we covered around 18 miles, even
though I'm sure everyone felt it was closer to or more
than 20 miles. It definitely wasn't 20 miles, though.
There are several reasons it felt farther than it actually
- There were numerous junctions: we went through
at least 40 of them. Each junction meant a bit of
waiting and loss of momentum.
- Many of the trails were really rough with loose
rocks, steep sections and thick obstructing bushes.
- we got slightly disoriented a few times, partly
because some of the trails were not well-marked,
or not marked at all
- Elevation-wise, my rough calculations shows a total
elevation gain of about 5400 ft. Yes, over a mile!
Summary: 18 mi / 5400 ft for an average grade of
11.3% - this is an incredible average to keep up for 9 miles!
(Compare to Mission peak which is 15% grade, but only over
C2C training hikes Hikes:
- Portola 20mi/4000 ft (3/9/08).
- Ohlone 27mi/7000 ft (3/29/08).
Also See Mystery Hikes:
- Monte Bello (1/6/2007).
- Skyline/Portola (1/13/2007).
- Sanborn/Netws (1/20/2007).
- Pt. Reyes/Alamere Falls (2/3/07).
- Pescadero Creek (2/17/2007).
- Lakes of Marin (3/10/2007).
- Wilder Ranch (3/25/2007).
8 - Big Basin
9 - Nisene
10 - Pt Reyes north (4/5/2008).